This hearty and flavourful soup is simply delicious. A dash of chilli flakes help to perk it up. For enhanced flavour, top it off with a swirl of melted butter. Garnish with split chilli and finely sliced saw-edged coriander or parsley. Flower: Tecoma stans.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion - sliced
- 1 head garlic - sliced
- 1 large potato - peeled and diced
- 2 stalks leek - chopped
- 1 head of cauliflower - chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk or light cream
- 1 tsp chilli flakes or 1 bird's eye chilli - sliced
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and garlic, fry till aromatic, then add potatoes. Cook, stirring frequently for a few minutes before adding 2 cups chicken broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, add leek and cauliflower. Continue simmering for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, chilli and pepper.
- Puree the mixture in blender or use hand-held blender.
- Return the puréed soup to saucepan and add the remaining 3 cups chicken broth. Bring to boil.
- Add salt to taste.
- Garnish with saw-edged coriander or parsley.
If no chicken broth is available, dissolve 1 cube chicken stock in 5 cups water. Alternately, anchovy cubes can be added. For vegetarians, vegetable broth can be substituted. Add more water or broth if a thinner soup is desired. Serve with butter-cheese toasts.
Makes about 10-12 bowls.