Friday, November 30, 2012

Black Pepper Chicken with Bell Peppers


A very appetising dish which will have you reaching out for more rice. Make an accompaniment of clear vegetable soup to wash down the heat from the black pepper.
 
Black Pepper Chicken with Bell Peppers
Flower: Hibiscus rosa sinensis


Black Pepper Chicken with Bell Peppers


Ingredients:
400 g chicken fillet - Cut into bite-size pieces
1 each of Red, Yellow, or Green Bell Peppers - dice
1 large onion - sliced into six segments
1 stalk spring onions - cut into 1-inch lengths
3 cloves garlic - mince
1 tbsp black pepper or more as desired
2 tblsp oil

Combine:
1 tblsp light soy sauce
1 tblsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp corn flour
1 tbsp water
Salt to taste


Preparation:
1. Heat the oil and when smoking, add garlic and fry until aromatic and slightly brown. Note that at this stage, garlic can burn easily.
2. Add chicken and black pepper. Stir for 2 minutes under high heat until just cooked or when meat change from translucent to white.
3. Add bell peppers and fry for another 2 minutes.
4. Combine soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, cornflour with water in a small bowl. Pour mixture over the whole ensemble. Add salt to taste.
5. Add sliced onion, continue to stir fry until gravy thickens and become sticky.
5. Toss in spring onions, stir fry briskly and dish out.


Remarks:


If you wish for a more spicy version, simply just add more black pepper.

9 comments:

  1. Yum - looks beautiful and sounds easy and delicious! I'll definitely give this a try. I have bags and bags of colorful peppers chopped and frozen for the winter. I don't buy peppers at the store - too many pesticides on the conventional ones, and organic are so expensive. This recipe looks like a great use for our frozen peppers, and my husband LOVES spicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a good way to use up the peppers. The various pigments is supposed to be good too. I hope you enjoy the dish and Happy cooking.

      Delete
  2. What lovely photography you have of your food. I find this challenging. Best wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments. Wishing you a great 2013.

      Delete
  3. I'm happy I found this blog. I don't know many Chinese recipes but these ones are more Malay/Singapore Chinese, which I like. Even though I am a former HK resident, I don't really eat much Cantonese food - it is very oily and relies on seafood, which I don't like. But your type of food is more to my taste. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that my recipe suits your palate. Having say that, I've to tell you that its most likely to be Cantonese style. Most Chinese food is now a fusion of all the provincial cuisine. Home cooking differs from those at restaurants in the more judicial use of oil and practically no food enhancer (aji no moto).

      Delete
  4. It look so yummy! I must try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete